Ontario Regional Office Staff Attorney
POSITION: Oregon Law Center (OLC) seeks a full-time staff attorney based in Ontario.
ABOUT US: OLC is a non-LSC funded legal services program that is committed to achieving justice for the low-income communities of Oregon by providing a full range of the highest quality civil legal services through its ten offices, a state support unit, a legislative advocacy unit, and a statewide farmworker program. OLC also works closely with partners in a coordinated civil legal services delivery system.
OLC’s Ontario Regional Office is a four-person team consisting of two attorneys, a paralegal, and a legal assistant. The Ontario office provides legal services to four rural Eastern Oregon counties that in total contain a high percentage of Spanish-speaking people and a high poverty rate. We seek to improve our clients’ lives individually, and more broadly, to ameliorate the root causes of poverty in the region through both complex litigation with a systemic impact and through policy advocacy.
We set priorities based on routine client needs assessments. At present, our priorities are housing, employment, domestic violence, administrative, immigration, consumer and civil rights.
Geographically, Ontario is a rural community, located on the Snake River in the Treasure Valley adjacent to the Idaho Border. It is approximately one hour from Boise and an easy drive to beautiful mountains and rivers both in Idaho and Oregon.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The staff attorney will litigate both impact cases and individual service cases. The staff attorney will also conduct community education and outreach with clients, community-based groups, and partner organizations.
- 0-5 years of legal experience.
- A clear commitment to justice for low-income communities.
- A high degree of initiative.
- Ability to independently manage a caseload.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a sense of humor, and a positive attitude.
- Excellent written and verbal advocacy skills.
- Creativity in resolving legal problems.
- An ability to actively foster camaraderie both within the office and among our partners.
- Admission to Oregon Bar or willingness and ability to sit for the next exam.
- Experience representing low-income clients.
- Experience with complex, impact litigation.
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish.
- Life experience with poverty, disability, or any other minority status or affiliation.
- Experience living in or desire to live in a small, rural, community.
SALARY/BENEFITS: Salary depends on experience. Good benefits package offered.
HOW TO APPLY: To apply, submit your resume, a cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position, and list of three references to Jon Dennis, Manager, Ontario Regional Office, at firstname.lastname@example.org, please include the word “resume” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Position is open until filled.
OLC is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a healthy work environment for a diverse staff. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.